The seating system must not assign players to a specific table for several hanchans.
This is to prevent players from memorising the tiles if they get stained or have manufacturing defects.
It's also recommended to clean the tiles every day.
To ease tournaments schedules, a time limit can be applied to each hanchan. The recommended time limit is 90 minutes.
When a time limit is applied, the remaining time must be displayed and be visible from all tables. A clear sound (gong) must signal when the time's limit is over.
When the time ends, players must finish the current hand. If the walls are not set up or the dice not thrown when the time ends, the hanchan ends immediately.
In case of chonbo during the last hand, the hand is not re-dealt.
In any case, players cannot roll the dice after the gong.
At the beginning of hanchans, waiting for the signal to begin, players are allowed to build the walls, but they cannot throw the dice and the deal cannot begin before the signal.
At the end of hanchans, the players must not leave the table and must not reset the sticks before a referee, or an appointed staff member, have checked and signed the score-sheet.
Championship organizers are free to use any convenient way they like to keep the scores during hanchans.
When using scoring sticks, organizers must prepare a way to handle scores below zero and inform the players about it. For example, by having referees distributing extra scoring sticks when necessary and recording "debts" on a sheet. The game continues anyway.
When paying with scoring sticks, players should put the sticks on the table for anyone to see them.
• Be polite by verifying your points when asked.
• Draw and discard with the same hand.
• Players are encouraged to shuffle by shoving against the sides of the tiles, and not by rubbing against the tops of the tiles. In any case, players must not hold tiles under their hands.
• For opening the wall, it's best practice that the dealer breaks the wall himself by putting the first two stacks apart without moving other tiles.
• Players should leave the competition ground after they finished their current hanchan.